Teenagers And Technology: How Does it Impact Teens?
Teenagers and technology is a combination that is going to be around forever. It’s no denial that teenagers today are constantly glued to their phones. According to Pew Research Center, the most popular social media networks amongst teens are Youtube, Snapchat, and Instagram. With 95% of teens having access to smartphones with internet connections and 97% of them using social platforms, it’s no wonder that 45% of them are constantly online. On average, a teen spends 9 hours a day online. While this might not seem like a problem at first, it can actually lead to some serious consequences. Teens are already aware of this issue but face difficulty in being able to rein themselves in.
Sure, you as parents are likely concerned about the social media usage of your teen. It can be difficult to understand why your teen is attracted to online networks, and what impact these platforms may have on them. Why do they believe social media has answers to all their problems? Is social media making your teen anxious or depressed? There happen to be both boons and banes that come with your teen using social media. Keep reading to find them out!
The positive impact of technology on youth
- Knowledge Many teenagers use social media to gain knowledge and ideas to improve their skills. They learn through videos and articles, as well as attending live lectures, in order to complete their projects. This type of learning allows them to grow and develop their skills more effectively.
- Connection The ability to connect with others who share your interests and outlook on life is an important part of being a teenager. Social networks provide a great way for teens to stay connected to the people and world around them. They also offer a safe space for teens to share their deepest thoughts and feelings with their friends.
- Sharing The internet has revolutionized the way we share information and connect with others. Today, social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram are some of the best places to share your thoughts, ideas, and creativity with the world. For teen users, receiving feedback and responses from others online can be motivational and help encourage them to produce even better work. In this way, social media can be a positive force for personal development.
- Identity At this age, teenagers crave freedom and the ability to express themselves more than anything else. Social media platforms give them the perfect outlet to share their choices, opinions, ideas, and beliefs with the world. It feels good for them to be heard and seen, and taking part in these online communities helps them form their unique identities.
- Earn Social media provides everyone with an opportunity to make money online. Some teenagers take advantage of this opportunity by posting exciting videos, teaching different skills, writing blogs, and more. This provides them with a great way to earn money and gain some independence while also helping others.
The negative impact of technology on youth
- Addiction The fear of missing out, or FOMO, is a powerful force in the lives of teenagers. The constant “likes” and “followers” they see on social media platforms give them a dopamine hit that feels just like other drugs. Over time, they become addicted to this feeling and spend more and more time on social media. However, in doing so, they miss out on the joys of the real world, like spending real time with people around them.
- Depression Social media can be a great way for teens to escape the pressures of the real world. But when they’re constantly bombarded with negative comments, dislikes, and trolls, it can easily lead to depression. If a teen is having difficulty managing their social media presence, it can cause anxiety, stress, and depression. They may start feeling hopeless and worthless, which can sadly lead to suicidal thoughts.
- Privacy We have seen an increasing number of cases of cyberbullying and cyberstalking, especially among teenagers. By sharing their check-ins, photos, videos, and other personal information online, they make themselves targets for hackers and cyberstalkers, which can negatively impact their quality of life. Victims of prolonged cyber-stalking often face psychological problems.
As the parent of a teenager, knowing when to intervene between teenagers and technology can be quite a challenge. That’s why, Kosh Wellness offers personalized teenage Parenting programs along with online parenting workshops, webinars, corporate workshops, and more.
Avail a 1:1 Personalized Counseling Session with our parenting experts today!